Jamaican Mi Crazy opens at Westfield Montgomery
The new Jamaican fast-casual restaurant at Bethesda’s Westfield Montgomery mall opened earlier this week. The owner, Naya Radway, grew up in Silver Spring and had operated a food truck in the District since 2013, where she honed her Caribbean cuisine such as jerk chicken and ox-tails. This is her first brick-and-mortar restaurant. It’s located in the mall’s newly renovated dining terrace.
Silver Spring Restaurant Week now burgeoning with participants
When Montgomery County Council member Tom Hucker first announced his plan to host a Silver Spring Restaurant Week last month, there were 13 participating restaurants. Now, 34 restaurants have signed on to host special prix fixe menus from Sept. 8 to 13, including Silver Spring hot spots including Jackie’s Restaurant and 8407 Kitchen Bar, and Republic in nearby Takoma Park. During the week, restaurants will offer $12 two-course lunches, $17 three-course lunches, $17 two-course dinners and $27 three-course dinners.
“We see this week as the start of new tradition for Silver Spring restaurants,” Hucker said in a statement. “We have some of the best restaurants in the Washington area and once people try them, they will keep coming back.”
As of Sept. 1, here are the participating restaurants:
- 8407 Kitchen Bar, 8407 Ramsey Ave.
- All Set Restaurant & Bar, 8630 Fenton St.
- A.G. Kitchen, 931 Ellsworth Drive
- Abyssinia, 8221 Georgia Ave.
- Adega Wine Cellars & Cafe, 8519 Fenton St.
- Austin Grill, 919 Ellsworth Drive
- Bete Ethiopian Cuisine & Café, 811 Roeder Rd.
- Copper Canyon Grill, 928 Ellsworth Drive
- Cubano’s, 1201 Fidler Lane
- El Golfo, 8739 Flower Ave.
- Golf Ultra Lounge—Afrik Grill, 8123 Georgia Ave.
- Fuddruckers, 819 Ellsworth Drive
- Jackie’s Restaurant, 8081 Georgia Ave.
- Kin Da, 6923 Laurel Ave., Takoma Park
- La Malinche, 8622 Colesville Road
- Masa Hibachi Steakhouse and Sushi, 921 Ellsworth Drive
- McGinty’s Public House, 911 Ellsworth Drive
- Middle Eastern Cuisine, 7006 Carroll Ave., Takoma Park
- Mix Bar and Grille, 8241 Georgia Ave.
- Mrs. K’s Restaurant & Barrel Bar, 9201 Colesville Road
- Mulu Ethiopian Restaurant, 7833 Eastern Ave.
- NaiNai’s Noodle & Dumpling Bar, 1200 East West Highway
- Olazzo, 8235 Georgia Ave.
- Pacci’s Neopolitan Pizzeria, 8113 Georgia Ave.
- Pacci’s Trattoria & Pasticceria, 6 Post Office Road
- Pete’s New Haven Style Apizza, 962 Wayne Ave.
- Pho Tan Vinh, 8705 Colesville Road
- Republic, 6939 Laurel Ave., Takoma Park
- Roscoe’s Neopolitan Pizzeria, 7040 Carroll Ave., Takoma Park
- Scion Restaurant, 1200 East West Highway
- Sligo Café, 923 Sligo Ave.
- The Society Restaurant & Lounge, 8229 Georgia Ave.
- The Urban Winery, 949 Bonifant St.
- Vicino Restaurante Italiano, 959 Sligo Ave.
Chef Matt Baker hosting pop-up dinners after leaving City Perch
Matt Baker, the chef who helped launch City Perch at Pike & Rose with renowned chef Sherry Yard, left his position as executive chef at the North Bethesda restaurant last month. Since then, Baker has been promoting his pop-up restaurant concept called Gravitas, in which he hosts tasting dinners in Washington, D.C., featuring four-course menus of dishes with seasonal ingredients.
Great last service @City_Perch last night. Thank you to everyone that came out. Love & going to miss my team I’m leaving there #thebest
— Chef Matt Baker (@Chef_mbaker) August 7, 2015