Firefighters outside the house in the 7600 block of Westfield Drive. Credit: Via Pete Piringer/Twitter

A fire spread from a fireplace to the second floor and exterior of a Bethesda house Tuesday night, damaging the house, but no one was injured, according to a rescue official.

The family living in the 7600 block of Westfield Drive was alerted by a smoke alarm and got out safely before firefighters arrived at about 8:45 p.m. to investigate smoke coming from the house, Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service spokesman Pete Piringer wrote on Twitter.

Firefighters controlled the fire by 9:15 p.m., according to Piringer. The flames caused about $100,000 in damage and displaced two adults and two children.

Fire officials determined that the fire originated in a gas fireplace enclosure on the first floor, then spread up the walls to the second floor and outside, according to Piringer. The cause was deemed accidental.


Interior damage to the house. Via Pete Piringer/Twitter