Dwight Jones Credit: Via Montgomery County police

A former Prince George’s County police officer has been charged with attempted murder after he allegedly caused a five-vehicle crash in Kensington following a fight with his girlfriend, according to court records.

ABC7 first reported that Dwight Jones Jr., 39, was indicted by a Montgomery County grand jury in early February. He’s facing an attempted first-degree murder charge as well as eight assault charges in connection with a crash that occurred last August near the intersection of Connecticut Avenue and Beach Drive.

In court documents submitted by his girlfriend two days after the crash, she wrote she was riding in her car driven by Jones when he sped up and intentionally rammed into other vehicles after she told him their relationship was over.

“Dwight was trying to kill the both of us because I ended the relationship,” she wrote.

On Aug. 5, she and Jones were driving her vehicle on the Beltway to the Pentagon City mall in Arlington when they got into an argument “about him heading into the wrong direction and on how fast he was driving,” according to the documents.

She said she asked him to pull over so she could drive, according to her statement, and he said he thought she was going to leave him. She continued to tell him to pull over, and he took an exit off the highway onto Connecticut Avenue.


Then she told him their relationship was over. He asked her, “So we are over?” and when she said yes, he “picked up speed intentionally, crashing into the vehicle in front of us,” she wrote. She stated in the documents he was still “in control” when he hit a second vehicle.

His girlfriend wrote that she pleaded with him to stop before he hit “something else” and the car came to a stop.

All told, three people, including his girlfriend, were taken to the hospital after the crash, with injuries including a torn ACL and a leg fracture, according to ABC7. Seven people were in the other vehicles involved in the crash—two Honda CRVs, a Chevy Camaro and a Toyota Avalon.


Jones did not reply to requests for comment Tuesday or Wednesday.

Jones worked as a Prince George’s County police officer from 2005 until 2014. He pleaded guilty to a second-degree assault charge in June of that year, which ABC7 reported was related to an off-duty domestic incident from November 2013.

He resigned prior to receiving discipline from the police department, Jennifer Donelan, the department’s director of media relations, said Tuesday.


Jones was released on a $3,000 bail. He was indicted Feb. 1 and is scheduled for a four-day jury trial starting June 25.